Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Week 6: Giving up control

As this course is progressing, I’m learning more and more about how teaching with technology can make students engaged. I thought that I was integrating technology in my classroom in many of my lessons, when I was actually doing nothing but showing off with colorful slides, lively animations and shiny web-based tools.

I think I am now ready to create a learner-centered environment. I have just read a wonderful post on the What Ed Said blog. In her post, Edna expresses her own past and present ideas about teaching, learning and assessment. The differences between then and now are reflected in my teaching as well.

Among other things, I too used to think that the teacher and the students should perform completely different roles. Today, my students glow with pride when they teach me how to use a web tool or a gadget; I’m committed to lifelong learning and I do it with great joy.

Furthermore, I strongly agree with Edna that the classroom doesn’t need to be quiet. Noise is acceptable if the students are involved in the discussion. Chaos isn’t. If I manage to create an engaging learner-centred environment, chaotic situations can easily be avoided. I know that I still have to learn a lot about learner engagement. But, I am convinced that my answer to Deborah’s question from her Power Point presentation is definitely in the affirmative: Yes, I’m willing to give up control.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Arjana,

    As you have mentioned in your post I have also considered myself a teacher with a lot of technology –enhanced classes. Unlike you, I don’t think I have done it in vain.

    Now, in the 6th week of our course, I can say that I feel richer and proud of myself that I have learnt a lot more about web skills .All the new-learnt techniques and methods will certainly make me think more about how to implement them at the end of the week when I usually prepare my lessons for the next week.


    We, me and you, have let our children know that there are creative, joyful and compelling ways of learning English. After this course we will improve our English teaching approach with the new technology tools, moving along the path we have already opened. Because we believed and sensed technology in teaching is the answer for keeping our children interested.


    Class time is brief and precious, and the information we want to communicate to our students is important. Everything we have learnt so far will help having our students engaged in some activities that force them to think about and comment on the information presented. They will analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information in discussion with other students, through asking questions, or through writing. In short, students will be engaged in activities that force them to reflect upon ideas and upon how they are using those ideas.


    Students must be enthusiastic participants in the learning process if we want the classroom experience to result in deeper understanding and the building of new knowledge. And I am sure that we will succeed . Especially after this useful experience which will help us engage students' interest and activate their learning for an exciting in and out of classroom experience.

    Yours ,

    Camelia

    ReplyDelete